Located near the historic village of Newbridge in the central west of New South Wales Glengowan has been in the Gordon family since 1858. From undulating hills to creek flats the property runs over 1500 commercial Angus females as well as a stud herd of 200 females. The commercial herd of pure Angus was established by Joseph Bathurst Gordon in 1931 followed by the Glengowan Angus stud, established by his son, Stuart Gordon in 1957. Today, Glengowan and the Glengowan Angus stud are owned and managed by Richard Retallack and Stuart’s daughter Sandra.
Over the last 60 years Glengowan Angus has built up a solid reputation in the show ring at the highest levels, in carcase competitions and in the sale yards. The traits which bought many accolades in the past are those we remain focused on for the future. Our breeding program continues to emphasise the attributes which were originally the hallmarks of the Angus breed; fertility, ease of calving, mothering ability, excellent temperaments and the structure and composition to thrive under any conditions.
Our aim has been to build upon and enhance the solid breeding foundation we already have. The bloodlines at Glengowan today are the product of experienced and commercially minded cattlemen who really understood the nuances of stud breeding and never wavered from their predominantly commercial goals. Every Glengowan sale bull we offer is backed by over six decades of consistent, considered breeding.