The suburb of Newtown in Sydney is renowned for its arty lifestyle and diverse array of shops and restaurants. At last count there were well over a dozen Thai eating spots in King Street alone.
My good friend Lee has lived and worked in Newtown for over twenty years and has made her mission to sample each one in pursuit of the perfect Thai beef salad. In the end she took the best of all of them and created this wonderful recipe which is perfect as part of a buffet or as a girl’s lunch. However, be warned, it packs a fair wallop so you may wish to go easy on the chillies. Enjoy!
- Brush the beef with oil and grill or BBQ until medium
- Rest meat for five minutes then slice thinly.
- Place salad ingredients, onion, lime leaves, chilli, coriander mint and basil into a salad bowl and toss lightly.
- Make the dressing by combining all ingredients and stirring well.
- Just before serving place the meat on the salad and add the dressing.
Thai Beef Salad:
- 3 large rump Steaks
- 2 large lettuces (I use Cos)
- 1 Lebanese cucumber chopped
- 10 cherry Tomatoes halved
- 2 small red onions finely sliced
- 10 shredded Kaffir lime leaves
- 3 mild red chillies deseeded and chopped finely
- 1 cup fresh Coriander
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons Kecap Manis soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar