Who doesn’t love a comforting MEATLOAF?
Here is an old recipe which works every time and is even better the next day on a sandwich (if there is any left!) YUM!
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line base and sides of a 7cm-deep, 11cm x 21cm (base) loaf pan with baking paper, allowing a 4cm overhang on both long sides. Using a grater, grate onion.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and bacon. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Set aside to cool completely.
- Combine beef mince, pork mince, bacon mixture, tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, egg, 2 cups breadcrumbs, grated zucchini, carrot and parsley in a large bowl. Using clean hands, mix until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Press mixture firmly into prepared pan. Combine cheese and remaining breadcrumbs. Press into top of meatloaf. Bake for 50 minutes or until firm to touch. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Lift onto board. Slice.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 brown onion, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 125g rindless bacon, finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 375g pork mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire or HP sauce
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 2 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 grated zucchini
- 1 grated carrot
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 50g tasty cheese, finely grated