The History Of The Glengowan Stud

C.S Gordon

C.S Gordon

The Glengowan Angus Stud was established in 1957 by C.S (Stuart ) Gordon with the purchase of five stud females from the Kahlua Stud and the sire Kahlua Volgano. Ten females from the Hadleigh Stud were added and later, twenty more Kahulua females and two females each from the Wambanumba and Walla Studs. During the first twenty five years of the Glengowan Stud, the most influential sires were Kahlua Volgano, Narrengullen Gammer Gus , Kahula Ruler and Roseleigh prince 4th. The homegrown sires Glengowan Jock, Hawke, Gay Boy, Deputy, liberator, Imperious and Mercury were also used with great success.

By the mid 1970’s the Glengowan Stud had achieved all of the major show prizes locally and at the Sydney Royal Easter Show, including:, Grand Champions, Senior Champions, Junior Champions, Most successful exhibitor and the Sires progeny Group award . After winning the ultimate accolade of Sydney Supreme Champion Angus Exhibit in the early 1970s, Stuart decided to cease exhibiting and concentrate his efforts into developing and marketing the stud. At the same time he was also becoming very involved with the Angus Society of Australia, serving on several State Committees. In 1979 Stuart was elected President of the Angus Society of Australia, a position he held until 1981.